As an after school snack, main dish or for game day, these quesadillas are always a favorite and seem to disappear quickly!
The unexpected flavor mix of the smoky ham, creamy black beans, onions and spices is so good on their own but then add some melted cheese with a warm tortilla THEN you've got something really special. I serve these quesadillas with a little lime sour cream and hot sauce. Actually, you only need one thing for this ooey, gooey, delicious slice of messy…a napkin!
Ham & Black Bean Quesadillas4 slices deli ham - chopped
1 small onion - chopped
2 tablespoon butter
1 packet taco seasoning
1/3 cup water
1 can 15.5 oz can black beans - rinsed and drained
2 cups shredded monterrey jack cheese
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar
8 medium size tortillas
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a medium sauce pan. Add onion and ham. Cook until onions are translucent.
- Add taco seasoning and water, mix well.
- Add black beans, stirring to incorporate ingredients, increase heat to a simmer
- Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in large cast iron or fry pan and let melt. Gently place 1 tortilla in pan.
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese on tortilla - enough to cover to edges. Layer on ham & black bean mixture. Sprinkle layer of monterrey jack cheese and cover with another tortilla.
- Cook on low heat until bottom is golden brown. Gently flip quesadilla and continue to cook until cheese is melted - about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat to cutting board. Let rest 1 to 2 minutes then slice (I use a pizza cutter.)
- Continue to build and cook other 3 quesadillas.
- Serve with any of these extras ~ sour cream, salsa, hot sauce, lime wedges, shredded lettuce or green onions.
- this recipe makes 4 quesadillas that can serve 4 people as a main dish or up to 8 as a snack or appetizer.