Warm, cheesy and packed with savory flavor is what this bread is all about! It's just the thing to serve for veggie night or toasted for breakfast.
We are big time soup lovers here and I am always on the lookout for a little something to serve on the side so, when I ran across my favorite recipe for cheese balls, it got me thinking...how about making this into a loaf. There were just a few changes I needed to make to turn this into bread and happily, it worked. I served nice, thick slices along side a bowl of cannelloni bean soup and we celebrated a happy Wednesday!
Sausage & Cheese Bread
1 lb. pork sausage
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
1/2 teaspoon Texas Pete hot sauce
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
Dash of red pepper flakes
2 cups baking mix - Bisquick
2/3 cup milk
1/4 cup mayonnaise
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Coat a 9x5 inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Crumble sausage into a large skillet and cook along with onion until brown.
- Drain on paper towels and cool.
- In a large bowl, combine egg, cheeses, hot sauce, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Add baking mix, milk, and mayonnaise. Stir.
- To the mixture, add sausage & onions. Mix until just blended.
- Pour into loaf pan and bake for 45 to 50 minutes.
- Let rest in pan for 10 minutes. Turn out to plate to serve.