We've had beautiful weather here over the past few days, so of course, we are grilling and dining alfresco. This was also the first week of school and I wanted to prepare an easy, tasty dinner so that our family could spend as much time as possible lingering at the table sharing about their day. It took just a few minutes to come up with my menu due to a stocked pantry and fridge ~ grilled chicken tostadas, sauteed black beans, grilled onion & tomato salsa and fresh fruit.
I set the table with fun colorful place mats (I found them at the Dollar Store and all 4 were just $1.00!), a combination of white and striped napkins, a few candles and a little bit of greenery from the yard. It was welcoming and happy.
Lastly, I lit the torches to keep away the "spoilers", made the salsa, grated cheese, shredded some lettuce and got a few other extras ready. A menu that packed a little heat and spice, with fresh summer flavors thrown in along with great conversation and lot's of laughter…it was a glorious end to the day.
Grilled Chicken Tostadas4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 packet taco seasoning
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
juice of 1 lemon or 2 limes
1 large onion - cut into thick slices
- Place chicken in a zip lock bag.
- Mix next 4 ingredients together in a small measuring cup.
- Pour over chicken making sure pieces are totally covered in marinade.
- Add onion to bag.
- Let marinate in fridge for 2 to 4 hours.
- 30 minutes before cooking, remove chicken to kitchen counter.
- Heat grill to medium high. Oil grates with vegetable oil.
- Cook chicken until done and slightly charred. Remove from grill and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Slice chicken, across the grain and place on warm tortillas. Add shredded cheese, lettuce, sour cream and salsa if desired.
Grilled Onion & Tomato Salsa
1 onion marinated and grilled
1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
1/4 cup pickled jalapeños - chopped
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
pinch of salt